3 easy ways to change your planning permission

Fantastic! You have your planning permission ; the world is your oyster! ... or at least that bit within the red edge is!

However, if it’s just not quite the permission you were looking for there is a way forward or three to be exact.

How to change your Planning Permission Croft Architecture

Of course it is always best to get the design as you want it before applying for planning permission. However we all change our minds sometimes don't we? Sometimes we can't foresee all of our requirements until a later stage. Well fear not, there are three alternatives to starting from scratch in planning and get the project you really want without upsetting the local planners.

1. Permitted Development

Permitted development is by far the simplest way of getting the project changes you need. You simply make the change!

The vast majority of homeowners can benefit from permitted development rights. The exceptions being for homes designated as listed buildings, homes within a conservation area, flats and maisonettes, and those homes that have had permitted development rights removed by the local authority.

Permitted development is a set of predetermined rules for acceptable development. To find out in more detail about what permitted development is, click here.

Many small non-material changes to an approved plan would be considered permitted development. Typical changes can include new doors, windows and rooflights, dimensional changes to extensions, new decking areas etc.

It is well worthwhile checking whether the changes that you require can be provided within the permitted development framework because permitted development offers two substantial benefits. First you can do it immediately without application; and second, there is no fee for making the changes.

2. Non-material Amendment

If your required changes do not fall under the remit of permitted development, then you might consider an application for a non-material amendment.

In general terms a non-material amendment is a formal application to change the existing planning permission for items that are considered “non-material”. Materiality would be considered to be items that significantly affect the appearance, are to the disadvantage of neighbouring properties, or is a fundamental change in design or the nature of the permission.

So if there are minor changes, that don't really affect the neighbouring properties then a non-material amendment application would be the approach you might want to take.

An application for non-material amendment will cost £28 for homeowners and £195 for other projects. The benefit of this approach against a new planning application is that the statutory consultations (such as notice letters to your lovely neighbours) that are undertaken in the planning process are not required for the amendment. The views of others have already been taken into account, and therefore the final decision can be made by the planning officer alone in a shorter period of time.

3. Second attempt planning application – “the free go”

Many people are not aware that when they apply for a planning permission, they automatically gain the benefit of a free second attempt application. In most cases our clients never use this benefit, though it is a useful way of gaining the changes they require for their existing planning permission.

Although not strictly speaking changing the existing planning application, a second attempt planning application is a new application and would therefore result in a separate permission. There is of course the statutory 8 weeks application period for minor planning applications, and 13 weeks for major applications. Nonetheless significant changes can be made under a second attempt application that you cannot make under permitted development or minor material amendments.

Though the second attempt application would be for a different design it must have the same project characteristics as the original application. The same site boundary and a similar project nature would be a requirement of the second attempt scheme. You would also be required to submit a valid second attempt application within a year of the decision date for the first application otherwise the fee would be levied.

So there we have it, three easy routes to making changes to planning permission to get the project that you want.

Do you have a planning permission in need of change?

Would you like to know more on any of these subjects?


We'd love to have your thoughts and comments below, or else by email, phone or carrier pigeon!

Subscribe here!